Champagne gifts on a beer budget! These presents are all BuyMeOnce approved, guaranteed to last longer than 365 days and are much more thoughtful than another glittery fidget spinner. Find the perfect gift for your friend, dad, grandmother or new pup with our $20 budget guide.
1. A brilliant bath time friend from Green Toys. This bright blue and yellow submarine made from recycled plastic bottles is a great bathtub or pool companion – let your child’s imagination soar as they submerge the vessel and watch the hull fill with water. Perfect for little admirals! ($10.99)
2. A pair of lifetime guaranteed socks (for men or women) from Darn Tough. Everyone loves receiving socks for Christmas, but don’t just buy them any socks. Get them a pair of seamless, soft merino wool socks that they will wear the rest of their life. If these aren’t the best Christmas socks they’ll ever get, we’ll eat our hats! ($16.95 / $12.95)
4. A set of nifty notebooks made from upcycled paper. Know someone who scribbles through notebooks or doodles through bullet journals at an epic rate? Help them write their way to saving the planet with Resketch’s reclaimed paper journals. ($12.99)
5. A budget-friendly starter kit for the makeup enthusiast from EcoTools. This nifty kit comes with everything you need to create your favourite look. From eyes to brows to cheeks to base, this soft-bristled brush set is the perfect starting point. It’s also 100% planet friendly. ($7.95)
6. This hipster travel mug (that also happens to save the planet with every use). Tough, BPA-free and made from a nearly unbreakable glass, the KeepCup is the perfect gift for a caffeine-addicted eco-warrior. We love this silver and powder blue combo, but you can also customize it to suit your friend, right down to the splash-proof plug. ($20)
7. This leash for the animal-loving eco-warrior from Lupine Pet. Constructed from recycled plastic bottles, this leash is comfortable and lightweight, and the brushed nylon underside protects your furry friend from pulling burns. Bonus: this puppy is lifetime guaranteed “even if chewed!” ($18.36)
8. This pinnacle of baking tool perfection from GIR. Encourage your friend to bake you all the Christmas cookies this season with this seamless silicone spatula. Crafted with a super durable fibreglass core, the Ultimate is lightweight, sturdy and non-slip, perfect for anything from gingerbread to Panettone. Not that you’re sending any hints or anything. ($12.95)
9. This pen that can write underwater, over grease, at any angle, upside down, in extreme temperatures and in zero gravity. A Fisher bullet pen – the same design used aboard the first manned Apollo mission – is the perfect gift for any budding Sci-Fi screenwriter. Or anyone who just wants an unbreakable pen on a budget. ($16.95)
10. This incredibly adorable wooden magnetic maze game from Haba. Made from sustainably-sourced reforested German timber, this game will provide hours of entertainment for your little ones and help them develop fine motor skills, dexterity and problem solving. Perfectly pass-downable. ($19.99)
11. This handy guide to the joys of living with less. We could all do with a little less clutter and a little more happy – this book makes the perfect gift for a friend just starting out on their minimalist journey. Who knows. Maybe when they’re done with it, they can organize your life too! ($5.19)
12. This bulletproof heirloom lighter from Zippo. The Zippo is a classic celebration gift – engravable and incredibly practical, this is a present they will cherish for decades. The Armor line’s casing is 1.5 times thicker than a standard Zippo’s, so it should withstand even the heaviest of impacts. A gift particularly good for clumsy people. ($17.08)
13. A delightful set of chunky wooden trucks from Orange Tree Toys. These tiny treasures – a pick-up truck, a cement mixer and a dump truck – combine traditional quality and forward-thinking design to create timeless toys that will spark young imaginations for years to come. ($15)
14. A lifetime guaranteed tug dog toy from West Paw Design. This innovative toy is made from a non-toxic, durable, bendy, bouncy material called Zogoflex, created to withstand the most aggressive players. Gleefully challenge your pup to a tug-o-war this Christmas and just see who comes out on top. ($12.95)
15. This incredible unshrinkable tee from LL Bean. We all hate when our shirts shrink and stretch in the wash, but this soft cotton t-shirt is guaranteed to stay true to size even after multiple washings. It’s also fade, wrinkle and stain resistant. We don’t think a tee can get any better. ($18.95)
Note: Product prices are accurate and items in stock at time of publication.